Electronic filing can be an overwhelming experience. To help assist you with your filing, here are some of our frequently asked questions new filers ask to help you file quicker and easier. This information covers the states of California, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, and Texas.


Please read this article regarding the use of Debit Cards with e-filing.

General e-Filing Information

There are several fees for e-filing: Court Filing Fees, Court Service Fee(s), Court Convenience Fee, and Provider Service Fee comprise your e-filing costs.

  • The Court Filing Fees auto-populate from the court based on the document types you select.
  • The Court Service Fee tends to be the Odyssey eFile EFM Fee of $3.50, but can vary state to state. Also some courts may charge a technology fee, transaction fee, or other associated fees. If they do, Those fees will be listed in the Service Fees portion in the Filing Fees section of your filing.
  • A Court Convenience Fee of around 2.75 – 3.5% (depending on the county) is part of your filing so the court can recoup the costs associated with using a credit card. Filers using an echeck can expect a .$25 to $1 Court Convenience Fee instead depending on the state and court.
  • We also add our Provider Service Fee to the filing.
While this website does not have the required forms you will need, you can find them at each county’s official court website.
While our support team is able to assist you in using this e-filing application to submit your documents to the court electronically, we are not able to assist with legal guidance or provide legal advice, with completing court forms or formatting court documents, and in specifically directing what options or values should be selected as you submit your filing. Should you have any questions related to these items, we recommend you consult an attorney.
The court requires almost all documents to be a PDF. We automatically convert most native file formats (i.e. Word, WordPerfect, JPG, PNG, GIF, TIF) into the Court’s preferred Adobe PDF format, upon upload. At this time, the courts do not allow filers to upload videos to their system.
You need to create your account if you have not already done so. Then you will add a payment account for you court fees. Learn more
When a user logs in, they first come to the Dashboard which is comprised of nine sections. The following help article guides filers through each section, Learn more
What do you need to do, Initiate a New Case or File on an Existing Case?

Initiate a New Case
If you’re going to file on a new case (meaning you do not have a case number), you will need to Initiate a New Case from the main dashboard. Learn more

File on an Existing Case
If you’re going to file on an existing case (meaning you have a case number), you will need to File on an Existing Case from the main dashboard. Learn more

If you find you’re having trouble locating a case, here’s a couple of tips. (For adding a case in Cook County see below in their section.)

  1. Don’t select the specific court. Instead of “Merced-Merced-Probate” simply select “Merced” to search all court divisions / locations
  2. If your case number appears to have spaces or dashes, trying entering it without the spaces or dashes … instead of 15PR 00268 or 15PR-00268 try simply 15PR00268.

Learn more

The list of cases you see available in the Case field is prescribed by the Court. If you don’t see the specific case you are looking for then you’ll need to select the case that most closely matches. If you do not see one that works for you, then you will need to reach out to the court to advise.
The list of documents you see available in the Document Type field is prescribed by the Court. If you don’t see the specific document type you are looking for then you’ll need to select the document type that most closely matches, or is somewhat generic in nature. If you enter some of the Document Type name in its form field, you will filter your choices down (ie. type ‘Petition’ to see petition choices).

After making your selection, you can type the true document title in the document description field.

Learn more about selecting a document type when the one needed isn’t listed…

The courts impose a 25mb file size for PDF documents, and a 35MB limit for the entire filing. To reduce or compress the file size of PDFs larger than 25mb, you have some options.

Learn More

Many courts require your documents be submitted in a text searchable PDF. The following article guides you through how to make your document text searchable before uploading it to the e-filing system.

Learn More

When e-Filing a document, you may indicate that it is signed by the attorney using an electronic signature in place of a scan. This can help save you time as it avoids the need to print out a document, sign it, and then scan it again to e-File. For the typical electronic filing, you may sign your document by placing “/s/” followed by your printed name on the document signature line.

Learn More

To replace a document, click the Edit button to the right of the document, then click Replace.
Your filing fees are auto-populated from the court based on the document types you select. In addition, things like a court reporter fee might be listed in the Optional Services drop down in the Security and Optional Services section of your filing.
To create a waiver payment account, click Settings at the top of the screen, then select Payment Settings from the list on the left. Next, you will click Add a Payment Account on the right side of the screen. Give the account a nickname, then select the account type as ‘Waiver.’ When a waiver is necessary for filing, choose this for the payment option instead of the credit card on file. Learn More

Note: Los Angeles Civil Courts do NOT allow for Waiver payment types. Learn more…

In the Security and Optional Services section, there is a drop down titled ‘Optional Services’ the court reporter fee and many other optional fees are located there if the particular document offers any optional fees.

Learn More

In the Security and Optional Services section, courts will ask you to give your document(s) a security level. Most times your choices are public or confidential. You will need to pick something from the choices that particular court offers for that document type. While many people choose the public option, others choose confidential if there is sensitive information they do not think should be public.

Note: If a filer sets a document’s security to confidential AND they do not want anyone served those documents, filers will NOT want to electronically serve any party. Electronic service sends ALL of the documents in a filing to ALL selected parties regardless of the document security type chosen.

A service contact is someone you can attach to your filing in order to send an electronic service notification to them (i.e. e-service). Service contacts will remain attached to the case so that you may continue to serve them in the future, or others who file on the case may serve them as well.

Learn More

The court receives your envelope the moment you click the Sign and File button. It will be ready for the filing clerk as soon as the documents all upload. At the bottom of the filing in the ‘Review and Submit’ section of your pending filing, the date and time the court received the filing will appear there.
In an effort to increase document security, the Odyssey courts have made changes that have resulted rejections due to a “Court Response of Failure”. If you find the court rejects your filing within a minute or two of submission for this reason, you will want to re-create your PDF.

Learn More

Depending on the court, it can take as little as a minute, to a few hours, to a full business day. If it is taking longer than that, the court may be having a backlog they are working through. If you are concerned about the status, the best thing to do is contact the court directly and provide them the envelope number on your filing.

Learn More

You will receive an email from the court when your filing is accepted. You can also click on the Filing Status tab on the left from the main dashboard to see the status of your filings.
E-filing hours are 24/7, but you need to check the local rules of your court to see when their deadline is for receiving credit of having your submission filed for a particular day. The courts will review the filings during normal business hours.

Learn More

Not all courts allow a filing to be canceled or edited once submitted. If they do and your filing is still pending AND the filing clerk has not begun reviewing your documents, you can click on the Filing Status tab on the left, then click the Filing ID of the filing you wish to cancel to open it. Then, click the cancel filing link in the upper right.

Learn More

Once your filing is accepted, you can click on the Filing Status tab on the left, then click the Filing ID of the accepted filing to open it. You should see a “View File Stamped Version” link on the right hand side of each document listed.

Learn More

We have noticed that certain documents are being returned without file stamps/signatures. More often than not, it is because the document type that was submitted does not automatically receive a file stamp. In these instances, the clerk would manually apply the stamp, but most likely did not. We recommend reaching out to the court to have them apply the stamp, as we have no ability to provide one.
Signed orders are not distributed back through the e-filing system. The Court will either email it to your or send it by US mail depending on the county you filed in.

Learn more

When submitting a filing, some courts allow you to request certified copies. If they do, you’ll be able to request them from the Optional Services dropdown in the Security & Optional Services section.

If you have already filed your documents or the court does not allow for certified copies to be ordered through the e-filing system, obtaining certified copies must be done through the court or an attorney service.

If you notice that a charge appears twice for a single filing it is because the payment system for those fees has authorized the payment twice. The system does this in order ensure that your payment can be processed once the filing is accepted.

Learn More

The court does not charge for rejected filings. When you submit your filing the court does a pre-authorization on your card for the filing fees. If the filing is rejected, then the court will not settle that pre-authorization and it will eventually fall off your card. The time it takes to fall off can range from 1 to a few days depending on your banking institution. When rejected filings occur, and you “re-submit” your filing, the court does another pre-authorization. Once accepted, this is the fee that will be settled.

Learn More

You do not need to start a new filing if your original is rejected.(If the filing is partially accepted, you will need to start a new filing to fix the rejected document.)

You can click on the Filing Status tab on the left, then click the Filing ID of the rejected filing to open it. From there, you can edit, replace, or delete any document. Then, review all sections for accuracy, and if it’s good, click the Sign and File button to resubmit the filing to the court.

Learn More


Cook County, Illinois Additional Information

Yes. Cook County requires Pro Se’s to enter 99500 for a Cook County Attorney Code. You must do this in the Cross Reference part of Section 1. If you do not enter a Cook County Attorney Code, the filing clerk may reject the filing without looking at the rest of the filing.
To add a Cook County case to your account you need to make sure you select the correct court and format your case number correctly.

Learn More

Motion Spindling is a term that the clerk within the Cook County Circuit Court uses to set a motion for a hearing date. Once your completed filing is pending with the court, you can request a hearing date. In the Cross Reference part of Section 1, you need two (2) rows to spindle; one for your Cook County Attorney Code and another to select your motion type.

Learn More

The following help article walks filers through initiating a new case in Cook County. Learn more…

Additionally, this video demonstrates the process of starting a brand new case in the Illinois Courts.Learn more…

The following help article walks filers through filing on an existing case in Cook County. Learn more…

Additionally, this video demonstrates how to e-file a new document on an existing case. Learn more…

The following case types, grouped by division, are currently available for e-filing in Cook County Circuit Court as of April 1, 2018. Check back frequently for updates to available case types.

Learn More

The following special instructions guide filers through the process of e-filing in the Cook County Circuit Court. Please check back often for updates.

Learn More

The eFileIL e-filing system integration with the Cook County case management system is ongoing, and not yet perfect. In the meantime, please keep in mind the following guidelines and workarounds related to case searches, date selection, and the use of case cross reference numbers.

Learn More


Los Angeles, Superior Court of California Additional Information

Yes, full e-filing began there on November 15, 2021.
The following help article walks filers through initiating a new case in LASC Civil. Learn more…

Additionally, this help article walks filers through initiating a new case in LASC Civil with a Request to Waive Fees. Learn more…

The following help article walks filers through filing on an existing case in LASC Civil. Learn more…
The Los Angeles Civil Court does NOT allow filers or EFSPs to cancel or edit pending filings. Learn more…
The Los Angeles Civil Court DOES allow filers to cancel a Pending filing if filing clerk has not begun their review of it. The user may then cancel the filing, make their edits and then resubmit the filing.

Before canceling a filing, be aware that if the user cancels it, and then refiles it on a date OTHER than the original filing date, the court issues the re-submitted filing a NEW submission date, and NOT the date of the original, cancelled filing.

Learn more…

If you find that the Los Angeles Civil Court has overcharged you for a specific filing, the court requests you fill out a REQUEST FOR REFUND, and submit it in paper at the court location in question in person or via mail by the attorney of record. Learn more…
The Los Angeles Civil Courts have excluded the following documents from E-filing. These documents can be submitted for filing in the Clerk’s Office of the Civil Division between the office hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or by mail (visit www.lacourt.org for courthouse addresses).

  • Peremptory challenges or challenges for cause of a judicial officer
  • Bonds/undertaking documents
  • Trial and hearing exhibits

View the Los Angeles Civil e-Filing FAQs for more information.

The initial fee of $150 for the jury demand can be paid via e-filing by selecting the Notice of Posting of Jury Fees as the document type during the e-filing process. You will want to create the Notice of Posting of Jury Fees document to upload to the e-filing system. Daily jury fees must be paid in the Clerk’s Office after the judicial assistant/courtroom clerk assesses the fees and creates an invoice.
Hearing Dates for motions in non-Complex Unlimited Civil, Limited Civil Collections, and non-Collections cases in Los Angeles can only be scheduled using the Case Reservation System (CRS), and then return to our system to complete the filing.
The Los Angeles Superior Court currently processes signed documents (orders, judgments, etc…) on CIVIL matters in one of two ways.

  1. Electronically: If the judge signs the order electronically, the court then returns the signed copy to the e-filing service provider. We then distribute that to the filer.
  2. In Paper: If the judge chooses to print and sign the order in paper, then the court is unable to return a signed copy to the e-filing service provider. They will then distribute the signed order outside the e-filing system themselves via US mail or email.
Starting 2/26/2018 the Los Angeles Superior Probate Court implemented a new process for proposed orders. They now require filers enter and select their email address in the service contacts section of a filing. This enables the Court to provide the filer with an emailed copy of the final order.

If filers do NOT include AND select their service contact in the service contacts field at the time of submitting the filing, the Court can not serve a copy of the order electronically through this system. However, once the order shows as entered in the Case Summary online, you may request copies or certified copies at the Records unit located in Room 112 – 1st floor at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, in the Probate Clerk’s Office – Room 1000 in Antelope Valley, or at any public record kiosk at any court location.

  • Subsequent document filed as a new case filing
  • Case number used does not match case information
  • Resubmit Proposed order after the hearing
  • Case coversheet needed as a separate document
  • Document exempt from efiling; you must submit originals conventionally

Learn more…


San Diego, Superior Court of California Additional Information

The following help article walks filers through initiating a case in the San Diego Civil and Probate Courts. Learn more…
The following help article walks filers through filing on an existing case in the San Diego Civil and Probate Courts. Learn more…
The following help article walks filers through adding an Unlawful Detainer case in the San Diego Civil Court. Learn more…
In the San Diego Civil and Probate courts, the filing clerk determines what fees to charge upon their acceptance of a filing. While our system will do its best to estimate the fees based on the Case Information and Document Types selected, our system will not be able to completely estimate the fees the filing clerk will choose to assess.. Learn more…
The San Diego Superior Civil Court requires courtesy copies in conjunction with the many types of documents in e-filings:

  • If a hearing is set within 48 hours of documents filed, litigant to provide hard copies of documents in court with the eFiling Transaction ID noted in the upper right-hand corner of the first page of the document.
  • Exhibits to be considered via a Notice of Lodgment shall not be attached to the electronically filed Notice of Lodgment; instead, the submitting party must provide the assigned department with hard copies of the exhibits with a copy of the Notice of Lodgment that includes the eFiling Transaction ID# noted in the upper right hand corner.
  • For Construction Defect cases assigned to D62, refer to the department’s Policies & Procedures on the court’s website for further details regarding courtesy copies.
The San Diego Family Court allows for several types of Dissolution of Marriage. Learn more…